Assistant Lead Sound Technician
Job Announcement Organizational Description
Strathmore presents and produces exemplary visual and performing arts programs for diverse audiences; creates dynamic arts education experiences; and nurtures creative ideas and
conversations that advance the future of the arts. The organization’s hallmark is the Music Center at Strathmore, a 1,976-seat concert hall and education complex. Artistic offerings presented by Strathmore in the Music Center include world-class performances by major national and international artists of folk, rock, blues, pop, R&B, jazz, world music, show tunes, dance, and classical music. The Music Center at Strathmore is also home to several arts and education partners including the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, The National Philharmonic, Washington Performing Arts, Levine Music, CityDance, InterPLAY, and Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras. The Music Center hosts nearly 160 events per year.
Position Summary Statement
The Assistant Lead Sound Technician works in the audio department, on a per call hourly basis, to support the work of the Lead Sound Technician and the goals/objectives of the Strathmore Operations and Production department. There might be occasions where the Assistant Lead Sound Technician will sub for the Lead Sound Technician.
Position Summary Requirements
A background in technical theatre and in the production of a wide spectrum of events, as well as a knowledge of typical performing venues’ sound systems including a variety of microphones and techniques, house and monitor mixing consoles, and routine care, maintenance, and security of same.
Position Summary Work Schedule
Daytime, evening time and weekend hours. Hours vary based on need.
Basic Position Responsibilities and Duties
Assist the Lead Sound Technician in the following manner, in order to:
- coordinate with artistic directors, and others, to determine the sound needs of each show;
- assist in the selection of appropriate equipment, and to set up, test and operate or supervise the operation of said equipment, including the placement and adjustment of microphones as needed;
- balance levels between dialogue, music and other sound effects and engineer the show as required;
- coordinate rental equipment (not in-house inventory) in consultation with artist, touring sound systems engineers, promoter and Production Stage Manager as appropriate;
- be aware of all applicable safe sound limits and regulations, and,
- maintain and assist in the operation of Education Center and Reception Room sound equipment if it interfaces with the Music Center equipment.
- At least 5 years’ experience in technical theatre and in the production of a wide
spectrum of events.
- Demonstrated knowledge of: performing venue’s sound systems; microphones; house and monitor mixing consoles, and routine care, maintenance and security of sound systems, microphones, and house/monitor mixing consoles.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player, and a sense of humor.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Interest in, and knowledge of, the performing arts.
- Must be able to lift 20lbs.
- This position reports to (in priority order): Lead Sound Technician, Production Stage Manager, Executive Vice President of Operations.
Excellent attention to detail, anticipation of production (sound) needs, exercising sound professional judgment, meeting financial goals, building and maintaining good working relationships with staff, board, and colleagues, and keeping excellent records. Yearly performance evaluations will be conducted.
I.A.T.S.E. Local 22 / Salary / Benefits / Work Rules
This position will be required to be a part of the I.A.T.S.E. Local 22 bargaining unit. Hourly wages, union benefits and work rules are determined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items: Cover Letter & Resume (specifically addressing the qualifications listed above):
- If submitting your application electronically, the email SUBJECT line must contain the
words “Assistant Lead Sound Technician” and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please direct all mail submissions to: Strathmore
Assistant Lead Sound Technician
Attention: Executive Vice President of Operations 5301 Tuckerman Lane
North Bethesda, MD 20852
- Only qualified applicants will be contacted.
- Strathmore is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.