FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE
The Washington Ballet is seeking to fill the position of Properties Master for its current 2017-18 season
Nineteen (19) weeks of work are being offered during the period from 11/5/17 to 06/30/18
Responsibilities include the maintenance & preparation of props for rehearsals & performance;
the running of rehearsals & shows, including supervision of props crews (union & non-union) and the installation & care of Harlequin Dance floors.
A complete Job Description follows
To apply please send resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put the words PROPERTIES MASTER in the title block of the-mail
The position is represented by the contract between The Washington Ballet with IATSE Local 22.
Union membership is not a requirement for application.
The Washington Ballet is an equal opportunity employer
JOB DESCRIPTION PROPERTIES MASTER
The Properties Master is responsible directly to The Production Stage Manager or his/her designee
- Preparation, maintenance & repair of TWB & rental props for use in rehearsals and performance
- Acquisition of props as needed for rehearsal & performance
- Packing props for delivery to rehearsal studios & venues
- Maintenance of inventory of floor & spike tape, floor cleaning supply, dancer amenities, and other items as needed
- Attendance at studio rehearsals as needed for supervision & hands on execution of props presets, run of rehearsal details, and cleanup
- Supervision of and/or hands on truck loading and unloading at TWB warehouse, studios, and other facilities.
- Assisting the Production Carpenter; as well as other tasks assigned by the Production Stage Manager
LOAD IN & SET UP
Supervision and/or hands on
- Truck loading & unloading at the venue
- Receiving All Props, Barres, Dance floor, dancer amenities and all other prop items
- Receiving & distribution of all wardrobe boxes
- Installation cleaning & spiking of dance vinyl floor (marly)
- Organization & set up of props, ballet barres, rehearsal keyboard and other items as required; including but not limited to loading snow/petal bags, ground cloths.
- Provide tables & chairs to each department as needed
- Coordinate & work with other departments regarding the reloading of storage trailers as well as storing non-performance items in the venue space
- Establishing orchestra pit & studios sessions with music stands, risers, conductor lectern & podium as well as assisting musicians with large instruments (e.g. harp & percussion)
- Serving as an assistant to the Production Carpenter
- Other tasks as assigned by the Production Stage Manager
REHEARSALS & RUN OF SHOW
Supervision and/or hands on
- Pre-class/performance sweep & mop
- Continual maintenance of a clean & safe floor; both on & off stage
- Checking/refreshing all spikes as needed.
- Checking/repairing floor seams
- Setting stage for class/warm up with barres & keyboard/or upright piano
- Running props presets & cues in rehearsal and performance.
- Replenishment of dancer amenities and dancer ice cooler as needed.
- Make all props presets; live moves etc
- Check for missing & broken props; Repairs as needed
- Intermission Moves include: preparing for the next act; sweep (snow recycle), damp mop (if needed), & pit maintenance
- Reverse of load in
- The ability to lift 50lbs, have a good sense of humor, and the composure to work among and with children are assets deemed essential to the execution of responsibilities
- The tasks associated with assisting the Production Carpenter require knowledge of scenery assembly (not construction) and an understanding of rigging basics. This is not a Riggers position and certification is not required
- A valid Driver’s License & the ability to drive trucks (for local use only) up to 25’ in length is considered a “plus”
- Although the title is departmental the TWB Production members are accustomed to working, with and assisting one another as needed.
- Finalist candidates will be expected to undergo a background check at the expense of TWB